A lead magnet is a piece of valuable information that a company offers for free to potential customers in exchange for their email address. If done correctly, you can drastically increase your sales and get more customers. Do it wrong, and your potential customers will run to your competitors. So what actually makes a good lead magnet, and how can you make one that will generate you more profit?
An irresistible lead magnet is tailored to a specific audience and does not try to target a wide range of potential customers. So the first step is to really understand who your target market is. Once you know your audience, you need to come up with a value proposition that will not only provide tremendous value, but that also links to your paid products. Afterwards, you can build your lead magnet with user-friendly software like Canva. Once you have completed your lead magnet, you’re ready to start promoting.
Choosing Your Audience
The first step to making an irresistible lead magnet is to really understand the challenges your potential customers have. This will not only help you with finding the best value proposition for your leads, but also promote to your lead magnet.
To choose your audience, you will need to build a buyer persona. A buyer persona is a fictional representation of your ideal customer. In other words, it’s the customer who is most likely to buy from your brand. You can also have multiple buyers personas for one brand. If your company has a wide range of products or services, building various buyer personas will give you a greater appreciation of the different types of customers you have.
To create a buyer persona, you will need to survey your existing customers. If you don’t have existing customers, you can use services like Survey Monkey, who will find a similar audience.
You’ll need to plan out the questions you want to use in your surveys. Questions like, what are your biggest challenges? What is your job title? Where do you see yourself in five years? These are just generic questions, but you will want to tailor them towards your company’s products or services. View my blog post “How to Build a Buyer Persona and Attract the Right Audience” to get even more in-depth on how to build a buyer persona.
Choosing Your Value Proposition
Once you fully understand your audience you want to create your lead magnet for, it’s time to figure out what you want to offer them as a value proposition. The first step is to find a common weak point that most of the people who answered your survey have. For example, if your audience has trouble losing weight, create a diet plan template to keep track of what they are eating.
If you want to maximize the effectiveness of your lead magnet, create one that directly relates to one of your paid products. For example, if your paid product is an online photo editing course, why not create a PDF photo editing checklist. When your customers use your checklist, they will naturally want to learn more about photo editing. The more value you provide as a lead magnet, the more sales you will generate in the long run!
Creating Your Lead Magnet
Once you have your value proposition, it’s time to actually create your lead magnet. The first step is to figure out what type of lead magnet you want to use. Most lead magnets will be a PDF that users can download straight from their inbox like a guide, a checklist or a cheat sheet. There are also other types of lead magnets, like free trials and discounts.
Once you figured out the type of lead magnet you want to offer, it’s time to design and create it. My personal favourite way to make quick, easy and professional looking lead magnets is by using Canva. Canva is free software you can use to create PDF documents, logos, and much more. They also have a paid version that gives you access to even more features like creating transparent backgrounds and premium templates.
Let’s create a lead magnet together using Canva!
- Start by creating an account by following this link: https://www.canva.com/login.
- Then choose a template for your lead magnet by using the search bar. For this example, I will create a morning routine checklist.
- Scroll down the results page until you find a design you like and click on it.
- The page editor will then pop up, and you can start editing.
- On the left side of the screen, you will see all of the different elements you can insert in your lead magnet. Go through each one and get familiar with the layout. Each option will also have a dropdown menu so you can add further customizations to each element.
- To edit the template, click on each individual element on the page to change the colour, size and other design elements.
- Once you finish changing the colours and design elements, replace the text with your own content. You can change the font, size and colour of the text by going to the top left-hand side of the work area.
- After inputting all of your content, you can add extra elements to your lead magnet like symbols, text, images and much more with the tab on the left-hand side. To insert these new elements to your page, drag and drop it to your lead magnet.
- Once you completed your lead magnet, head over to the top right corner, click on the dropdown menu next to “Print Letterhead” and select “Download.” You can then select the file type. For similar lead magnets like this one, I would recommend choosing “PDF Print.” After selecting a file type, click on “Download,” and you now have a modern, beautiful lead magnet that is specially tailored to your ideal customer.
Promoting Your Lead Magnet
After you finish making your irresistible lead magnet, you need to promote it to your ideal customers. There are many ways of doing this, but the simplest and most effective method is by using Facebook ads. There are many other great advertising platforms like Google and LinkedIn, but Facebook is simple and has a massive audience for most niches.